Jan 20, 2020
Valentine’s Day. The words either fill you with giddy excitement or a sense of existential dread – or perhaps even both. Whatever your stance on it, we all know that it’s not just for romantic love. Sending cards and writing Valentine messages to your best friend, family members, or even beloved household pets can be a great way of showing your appreciation for them. But, what happens when you find the perfect Valentine’s card for that special someone (even if that special someone is, in fact, your cat) and realise you have no idea what to write in it?
They always say that the best way to show your affection for someone is to speak from the heart. But we know that the heart isn’t always as poetic as you might want it to be, so we’re here to help you with the art of writing Valentine messages. No longer will you have to write ‘have a nice day’ and flail in shame as you watch them read it aloud. Instead, simply follow our guide filled with ideas for Valentine messages that are sure to make their heart beat a little faster and their cheeks flush a little redder.
Valentine Messages for Him
Whether he’s your big spoon, your favourite celebrity or your biggest supporter, it’s easy to get flustered when trying to find something wonderful to write to him. So why not take a leaf out of our book?
- Roses are red, violets are blue, I hit the jackpot when I met you!
- You’ve swept me off my feet and made my life complete.
- Happy Valentine’s day to the best boyfriend/husband/partner in the whole world. Thank you for always being the big spoon.
- Especially today, I hope you know just how much I love you.
- Here’s to many more years of sleepy kisses, spontaneous adventures and falling deeper in love.
- Thanks for being you and for being mine.
- Happy socially-acceptable-PDA day!
Valentine Messages for Her
Whether she has high expectations or no expectations, wow her on Valentine’s Day with a card that shows her just how loved she is.
- I’ve always looked for someone I could live with, but I’ve ended up with someone that I couldn’t live without.
- Next to you might just be my favourite place to be.
- I’m going to shower you with hugs and kisses all day long. Get ready!
- I was never a fan of Cupid before meeting you, but now I think he’s the best.
- Every love story is beautiful but ours is my favourite.
- I love my eyes when you look into them, and I love my name when you whisper it, but above all, I love my life because you’re in it.
- I’d give up my half of the duvet for you.
Valentine Messages for Friends
They’re your best friend, your partner in crime and the sibling you never had all in one. They deserve some big love. Fill their card with funny poems, nostalgic anecdotes and reminders of how much you appreciate them.
- Good friends are like stars; you don’t always see them but you know they’re always there.
- Who needs a [boyfriend/girlfriend] when I’ve got a best friend as wonderful as you?
- Here’s to a Valentine’s Day filled with wine, food, and a friend like you!
- I wish we could be together swapping fancy chocolates and drinking cheap wine like we used to.
- Who needs Valentine’s Day when you can celebrate Galentine’s Day?
- Someday, our princes will come, until then, it’s me and you!
- I hope at least one of us gets to kiss someone tonight. I hope it’s me. (Sorry)
Funny Valentine Messages
Everybody loves a little bit of humour – especially on Valentine’s Day, when there’s a lot of soppiness flying around. Think puns, memes, rhymes and some gentle teasing. We know exactly how to make them giggle…
- I’d shave my legs for you. Happy Valentine’s Day!
- I know it sounds cheesy, but we’re meant to brie. Have a gouda day!
- I’m not entirely sure why Cupid is the God of love and desire. When I think about romance, I don’t picture a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a sharp weapon.
- Are you a magician? Because when I’m around you, everyone else disappears.
- Roses are red, violets are blue. God made me pretty but what happened to you?
- I love you more than Kanye loves Kanye.
- Is your name Google? Because baby, you’re everything I’m searching for.
How to End Valentine Messages
You can hardly sign off a romantic card with the words ‘best wishes’ or ‘kindest regards’. You’ve got to have a big finish; a showstopper worthy of an encore. Hit them right in the feels!
- Can we have a kiss now?
- Always and forever,
- With all my love and kisses and snuggles and snogs,
- Love you long time.
- Forever yours,
We’ve got a few extra tips to ensure that your Valentine messages make sparks fly, and they all come down to the specifics. We’re hoping these last little hints will help you to write the best Valentine’s card the world has ever seen.
- Use the recipient’s name (or pet name!). Make it feel personal and we promise they’ll be giddy for days.
- Flex your artistic skills. It doesn’t matter if you’re not Vincent Van Gogh; just add some doodles to your card, from little hearts to funny stick men!
- Emphasise certain words in your card, such as words that are important in getting your message across or that define your valentine. Underline them, write them in all-caps, or use bubble letters!
- Don’t be afraid to go for the laugh! Make light of Valentine’s Day or yourself by bringing in the teasing and edgy humour that you know your special someone likes.
- Write what you feel. At the end of the day, you’re telling someone how much you appreciate them and nothing is more effective than telling them straight.
Whether you’re sending out one Valentine’s Day card or 12 (hey, we’re not here to judge), make sure you nail every single one and have the best day ever, filled with love, giggles, and a lot of chocolate.