The dish | serves two
- 120g rice (any rice will do!)
- 1 quantity katsu curry sauce
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 50g plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 75ml vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 40g mixed salad leaves
METHOD FOR THE SAUCE
1. Place the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and add the chopped onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until softened.
2. Lower the heat, add the spices and cook for 2–3 minutes while stirring
3. Add the flour and stir over the heat, then slowly add stock
4. Bring to a simmer and add the coconut milk, soy sauce, and sugar, to taste.
5. Sieve the mixture for a smooth sauce
FOR THE CHICKEN
1. Cut each chicken breast in half and open it out like a book, then put under clingfilm and flatten out with a rolling pin until its about 1cm thick. Then place flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls and dip each chicken breast first in flour, then egg and then breadcrumbs
2. Place the oil on medium-high heat. Fry one coated breast at a time for 3–4 minutes on each side then transfer to a plate lined with baking paper
1. Spoon a portion of rice, cooked to packet instructions, onto two serving plates.
2. Slice the deep-fried chicken breasts into strips at an angle and arrange on top of the rice.
3. Ladle the curry sauce over the chicken and rice and place the salad on the side with a drizzle of dressing